PCT Days 27/28: Sucked into the vortex / Waiting out the rain

Thursday, 2 August & Friday, 3 August 2018

Snoqualmie Pass: 0 miles

It was time to leave our wonderful trail angel’s house and head back to the trail. So we packed up and Naked River gave us a ride back to Snoqualmie Pass, stopping at Krispy Kreme on the way.

We made it to the Pass by noon and picked up the resupply boxes at the Summit Inn and the Chevron (really nice guy there) and then exploded all the food in the hiker area next to the Aardvark food truck.

Food is always so heavy and I try to find a balance between not carrying too much weight and not starving because I run out of food.

Chatted with some awesome people, like Matteo from Switzerland, and we actually figured out we used to live about 5 miles away from each other. Life is so random sometimes. He’s also carrying a cardboard malamute, modeled after the dog of another awesome trail angel.

Other notable company included Schllamanda and Surefooted, we all ended up getting pizza and beers and having fun. It was freezing cold and windy, so we sought shelter behind some random building, taking cardboard boxes to sit on, for insulation. Sometimes I feel so homeless…..

We moved our crowd to the DruBru when it got even colder, hanging out for a few hours, trying to figure out where to stay for the night. It also started raining.

My home for the night ended up being Surefoot’s tent, sharing with Surefoot and Sink. 3 people in a one-person tent, challenge accepted!

It was warm enough and out of the rain, so that worked out well.

Got up early, and it was still raining. So Sink and I made the executive decision to get a room at the inn and wait it out.

The guy at the front desk was really nice and let us check in immediately, so we were able to start lounging on the beds drinking beers and watching movies all day….it was 9 am. 😂

I don’t even remember all the movies I watched, but the whole Karate Kid franchise was certainly in there.

Surefoot showed up a little later, sharing one of the Queen beds with Sink, so I had the other all to myself. Bliss.

At dinnertime Surefoot’s mom sponsored two giant pizzas, so we walked to the store to pick them up and get refills. And there was an invasion of teenagers…..holy crap, so many kids. It made me want to go back to the woods so bad.

I tried to stay awake for a late night showing of the 5th element, but I couldn’t hold out. Hiking again tomorrow, I am so excited.

Keeping you posted….

Leave a Reply